The Latest On Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine
Get all the latest news, live updates & top stories on Russia Ukraine news
AlJazeera - To the surprise of many, Ukraine forces are reportedly putting up strong resistance to invading Russian forces as they surround and bomb the capital Kyiv this weekend. Interviewed analysts suggested that the Russian military may have been caught off-guard by the level of pushback by Ukrainian fighters, and more troops would likely enter the fray in the coming days. “Russia is clearly facing setbacks that it did not expect. It’s taking casualties and Ukraine is taking prisoners, including some quite senior, at least one, possibly two, brigade commanders,” said Nigel Gould-Davies from the International Institute for Strategic Studies. “So Russia will be motivated now to accelerate the forces that it brings to this conflict. So far, it’s been using about half of the forces it has mobilized and prepared for this so in numerical terms..." But despite Ukraine's best efforts however, Russia now reportedly has at least 50 percent of its estimated 150,000-strong invasion force inside Ukraine.
- Russia says it's withdrawing troops from Ukraine border but US says attack still possible | ABC News link
- Russia says it is pulling back troops from Ukraine border - BBC News link
- Russia moves troops away from Ukraine border but U.S. officials say some are in attack positions link
- Russia-Ukraine standoff link
- Ukraine President Zelensky calls for ‘day of unity’ amid Russia threat link
Russia-Ukraine crisis: Warning countries ‘on precipice’ of war, as talks continue
The German Chancellor flew into town today before heading to Moscow tomorrow, bearing money for the Ukrainians and warnings of sanctions for the Russians.
- U.S. Threatens 'Crippling' Sanctions For Russia Amid Fears Of Pending Ukraine Invasion link
- Sullivan warns Russia could potentially invade Ukraine 'any day now' link
- Why Does Russia Want To Invade Ukraine Now? link