"The Autonomous Zone" in Seattle
Get all the latest news, live updates & top stories on Seattle
As reported by the NYTimes, in a shocking turn of events this week, the Seattle Police Department had offered a concession to George Floyd protesters: Officers abandoned their building, boarded up the windows, and have let the protesters have free rein outside. “This space is now property of the Seattle people,” read a banner on the front entrance of the now-empty police station. Seattle is now quite literally an experiment in life without the police — part street festival, part commune.
About 5,000 National Guard to remain in Washington, DC until AT LEAST March
Roughly 5,000 National Guard troops will remain in Washington, D.C., until mid-March, the expected end date of former President Trump’s impeachment trial, Pentagon officials revealed Monday.
How Millennials Are Shaping Washington | NBC News NOW
Although the U.S. now has the oldest commander-in-chief in U-S history, some of D.C.'s new lawmakers are young, and millennials turned out in force to vote in the recent Presidential election. We take a look at how millennials are helping to shape Washington.
"Enough is enough" say Seattle police to vandals
Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes on what the city plans to do to people who can't protest peacefully and instead vandalize property.
Seattle City Council approves bringing $4/hour hazard pay back for grocery workers
The Seattle City Council voted 8-0 Monday to approve legislation that will reinstate hazard pay for grocery store workers in the city.
Washington hospital leaders worry of surge in cases from new COVID-19 variant
The Washington State Hospital Association (WSHA) is warning that a new variant of the coronavirus now identified in western Washington could potentially overwhelm local hospitals.
- Colleen Echohawk one of the first people to officially announce interest in being Seattle's next may link
- Four mass COVID-19 vaccination sites opening in Washington state, more on the way link
What President Biden Ordered at Washington DC Bagel Store
When the president wants a bagel, the motorcade comes to a halt. It was an extraordinary moment when President Joe Biden pulled up to a deli to get breakfast. A crowd gathered as Biden and his son, Hunter, hopped out to grab the order that they placed ahead of time. He waited in line as the Secret Service stood by. The bagel order included three toasted sesame seed bagels and a plain one. Someone in the family likes things spicy because one bagel had jalapenos on it.
Thousands of National Guard troops staying in Washington for weeks
Approximately 25,000 National Guard troops were sent to Washington, D.C., to provide security for President Biden's inauguration after a violent mob assaulted the Capitol while Congress was counting electoral votes. Officials said Monday that about 13,000 troops remain in the district, a figure that will drop to 7,000 by the end of the week and then remain at 5,000 into March. Watch the officials brief reporters.
- Washington family's "Dad Advice" channel on TikTok goes viral link
Protesters March In Tacoma, Washington, After Police Vehicle Injures Two People | NBC News NOW
An angry crowd marched through Tacoma, Washington, on Sunday night after two people were hospitalized the night before when a police vehicle drove into protesters.
- Amazon, Virginia Mason vaccinate more than 2,000 people at pop-up clinic in Seattle plus other headl link
- Why Washington's weekly COVID reports seem so much worse than Spokane's daily updates link
- 'People need outlets': Washington's gym closures effect on stress, anxiety link
- Rain/snow mix possible in areas in western Washington through early this week link
- Amazon, Virginia Mason vaccinate more than 2,000 people at pop-up clinic in Seattle link
Police SUV seen plowing through crowd in Tacoma, Washington
Authorities said the officer was fearing for his safety during the incident.
Video shows Tacoma, Washington, officer driving into crowd
A Tacoma, Washington, police officer apparently drove his car into a crowd on Saturday night, sending at least one person to the hospital. The incident was captured in video that was widely shared on social media. (Warning: Some may find the footage disturbing)
- Joe Biden’s inauguration lights up Washington, D.C. with ‘Field of Flags’ link
- Proposed capital gains tax in Washington has support from speaker of the house link
- First cases of COVID-19 variant strain from U.K. found in Washington state link
- Seattle police announce tougher policy on protest vandalism link
- WATCH: Demonstration in Seattle following destructive march earlier this week link
Washington has the 'inability beyond belief of getting anything done': WV Gov
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R) provides insight into President Biden halting new oil and gas leases on federal land.
- WATCH: Seattle police chief discusses city's response to weekend demonstrations link
- Seattle City Council proposal could bring hazard pay back for grocery workers link
- Washington Democrats plan to fast-track billions of COVID-19 relief dollars for vaccines, schools link
- Washington to remain in Phase 1 of reopening and more top stories at 5 p.m. link
- Washington state to stay in Phase 1 of reopening until Feb. 1 and more top stories at 6 p.m. link
- Proposal could make Washington state's gas tax highest in US link
- Washington Employment Security Commissioner Suzi LeVine hired by join Biden administration link
- Fire destroys Washington Potato Company in Warden, all evacuations lifted link
- All of Washington will remain in Phase 1 of reopening until at least Feb. 1 link
- Washington Employment Security Commissioner Suzi LeVine leaving to join Biden administration link
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and wife Trudi receive COVID-19 vaccine link
- WATCH: Washington Gov. Inslee receives COVID-19 vaccine link
- Washington governor sets goal of 45,000 vaccinations a day link
- RAW Video: Fire burning at Washington Potato Company in Warden link
- Level 3 evacuations issued for fire at Washington Potato in Warden due to chance of ammonia tank exp link
- Restaurants ask Washington lawmakers to loosen coronavirus restrictions statewide link
- Long lines at vaccine clinics frustrate eligible Washington residents link
- Washington Secretary of State, Republican Kim Wyman, says GOP needs to do some 'soul-searching' link
- 3 arrests after destructive protests in Seattle Wednesday night link
- COVID cases on the decline in Washington, North Idaho link
- Vaccine access still limited in Washington link
- Republican party needs to do some 'soul searching,' says Washington GOP Secretary of State Kim Wyman link
- Amazon and Virginia Mason hosting pop-up vaccine clinic in Seattle this Sunday link
- WATCH LIVE: Gov. Inslee gives update on COVID-19 vaccines in Washington link
- Gov. Inslee announces Amazon pop-up vaccine clinic in Seattle link
- WATCH: Gov. Jay Inslee gives update on COVID-19 vaccine distribution in Washington link
- The man behind the clothes of the most powerful women in Washington D.C. link
- WATCH: Washington state health officials provide update on COVID-19 response link
Supporters In Washington React To Historic Inauguration Day | NBC News NOW
NBC’s Vaughn Hillyard spoke to people gathered in Washington’s Black Lives Matter Plaza about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’ inauguration.
- Washington state's vaccine distribution plan for 2021 link
- Seattle pizza shop owner eyes Biden's small business recovery plans link
- WATCH: Group marches through downtown Seattle, Jan. 20. 2021 link
- Demonstrators arrested during destructive march in downtown Seattle link
- Washington scientist hopeful after President Biden's first executive orders address climate change link
- WATCH: Group marches in downtown Seattle, Jan. 20, 2021 link
- All quiet in Olympia, Washington State Patrol could start 'drawdown' at Capitol link
- Washington State Patrol gives update on presence in Olympia link
- North Seattle family hosts backyard inauguration watch party link
Tight security in Washington DC ahead of Biden inauguration - BBC News
In the aftermath of Capitol riots, Washington DC is preparing for Joe Biden’s inauguration with extreme security measures.
- WATCH LIVE: Seattle waterfront at night - Jan. 19, 2021 link
- Biden Arrives In Washington On Eve Of Inauguration, Pays Tribute To Victims Of COVID-19 link
- Sequim residents wait hours to get COVID-19 vaccine as Washington tries to ramp up supply link
- Counties struggle for COVID-19 vaccine supply as Washington state expands eligibility link
- WATCH: Aerials of downtown Seattle lit up to remember people who lost their lives to COVID-19 link
- COVID-19 vaccine distribution updates in Washington and more top stories at 5 p.m. link
- Spokane Valley Reps introduce bill to create 'Liberty State' in Eastern Washington link
- Washington rolls out new vaccination plan link
- Seattle joins nationwide memorial Tuesday to honor lives lost to COVID-19 link
- Many Washington residents eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine are struggling to find available doses link
- WATCH: Kobe Bell at Seattle Center rings 40 times to reflect on lives lost to COVID-19 link
- LIVE: President-elect Joe Biden travels to Washington, D.C. ahead of his inauguration link
President-elect Joe Biden delivers remarks ahead of departure to Washington
"I'm truly honored to be your next president," Biden said.
- WATCH LIVE: Biden speaks before departure for Washington, D.C. link